Your little one has arrived! Congratulations! The hospital staff helped you through labor and delivery and made sure your new bundle of joy was securely buckled up in the new car seat, and now that you are home you may have lots of questions. Parents with newborn baby anxiety are normal, so do not fret. The following tips are things new parents should know and can help you get some much-needed answers to calm your concerns.
How to handle a newborn baby safely
If you have spent little time around newborns, there are some things first time parents need to know about caring for a baby. Two important things to keep in mind is cleanliness and supporting the head and neck. Everything else will make sense when you keep these two newborn tips mind.
- Wash your hands to avoid spreading potentially harmful germs to your newborn who is still developing an immune system
- Do not allow kissing: Yes, they are precious and grandparents and aunts and uncles want to eat them up, but the easiest way to spread bacteria and infection is by putting it right on the baby's mouth and nose for them to inhale and ingest. In fact, a cold sore on an adult can pass the herpes virus to a baby, which can be deadly for an infant.
- Support the head and neck: Cradle the head and neck in the nook of your arm to provide the necessary support. When laying your baby down, you may find it easier to put a hand behind your baby's head.
- Never shake a newborn: Shaking a baby can cause a brain bleed leading to permanent brain damage, developmental delays, or death. Newborns also should not be bounced roughly or tossed in the air. Raising a baby means lots of gentle touches so save that type of play for when your baby has grown up.
- Always buckle up: Whether in a car, carrier, or stroller, follow this newborn advice and make sure your baby is always securely fastened in whatever mechanism you are using for transport.
Following these guidelines on how to handle a newborn baby safely will guide you in those early months as you are becoming a pro in parenting. Raising a baby can be overwhelming, exhausting, and even nerve-wracking at times, but it will be the most rewarding thing you will experience in your life.
Bathing tips for new moms with newborn babies
Bathing a newborn can be a nervous experience if you have little to no experience. All about infants and their bathing needs is fairly simple and straightforward. First, babies should have only sponge baths until the umbilical cord falls off, which is about one to four weeks. Circumcised boys also need only sponge baths until the incision heals. To prevent drying out the skin, babies need to be bathed only two to three times a week during the first year. You will need a soft washcloth with unscented baby soap and shampoo. Use a soft brush with warm water and gentle soap to help remove dry skin from the baby's scalp. If the scalp is particularly dry and flaking, apply so small amount of baby oil. Dry your baby with a soft towel and after a clean diaper, dress your little one in soft bamboo baby pajamas and swaddle in a soft blanket.
How to swaddle a baby
You will want to swaddle your baby in the first few weeks after birth. This helps the baby stay warm, provide a sense of security, and sleep better by limiting the startle reflex. The best swaddling blankers are the ever-so-soft bamboo baby blankets made by Free Birdees. They are breathable and stretch for easy wrapping and the right amount of movement, and they come in a variety of fun designs for boys and girls. To swaddle your baby:
- Spread out a blanket with one corner folded slightly.
- Lay your baby's head on the blanket just above the folded corner.
- Wrap the left side of the blanket under the right arm and over the baby's body, tucking it beneath the back of the baby.
- Fold the bottom corner over the baby's feet toward the head. Make sure the hips and knees are slightly bent and turned out to avoid causing hip dysplasia.
- Wrap the other side of the blanket around the baby and tuck under the baby's back so only the neck and head are exposed. Slip your hand between the blanket and your baby's chest to make sure it is not wrapped too tightly and your baby can breathe easily.
Do not swaddle your baby beyond two months of age, when some babies can roll over. A swaddled baby that rolls over and has the arms restricted in a blanket has an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
Tips for dressing your baby
The first question many new parents ask is how many layers of clothes for newborn are necessary. It is easy to overdress, particularly in winter months, so follow the same rule for your baby as yourself. One to two layers is all that should be needed. Dress your little one in the softest baby clothing that is gentle on delicate skin. The best fabric for baby clothes is bamboo. It is breathable, organic, soft, and allows your baby your stretch and move comfortably.
As a new parent, you will come to appreciate side snap tops with a jacket design that makes dressing a newborn easy and sleep sacks that provide the right amount of warm while making diaper changes in the middle of the night easier and more convenient by eliminating the need to undress and redress your baby.
Basic bodysuits are nice and cool in the summer months and can be easily layered in cooler months for extra warmth. Your baby will need pants, particularly when in a car seat due to the seat harness placement. Some parents advocate for only pants with feet because socks are difficult to keep on, while parents of babies with long legs will say that you must get pants without feet if you want them to fit correctly. There are so many facets of baby clothes information, so test a few styles and see what works best for you and your baby.
Newborn clothes checklist
Newborns often outgrow newborn-sized clothing quickly, so it is advisable to buy a little larger size. Your laundry will also start to build rapidly as you will find yourself changing your baby's clothing multiple times a day due to diaper blow-outs and spit up. Invest in the best quality clothes for new born babies so they hold up to frequent washing. Fortunately, basic clothes for newborn baby is all you need. Here is an essential newborn clothes checklist and the recommended quantity to keep your baby clothed and you from constantly doing laundry:
- Sleep sacks (3-4) and hats (2-3), found in the best newborn gift sets
- Side snap tops or bodysuits (4-5)
- Footed pajamas or pajama sets (3-4)
- Swaddles (3-4)
- Pants (3-4)
- Socks (5-6 pairs)
- Gloves (1-2 pairs)
The best quality clothes for new born babies are those that are breathable, soft, and provide the right amount of stretch to allow your baby to move. Delicate baby skin needs soft fabrics to prevent skin irritation and bamboo kids clothing is a perfect fabric option.
You will find your baby dressed in a lot of pajama sets and sleep sacks during the first few months and even older. Babies sleep a lot and they need comfort so do not worry about buying a lot of clothes early on. There is no need to spend your money on nonessential clothing. As your baby grows, you will continue to want pajama sets for toddlers for sleep to daytime loungewear at home, especially on cold or rainy days with lots of inside play.
Softest Children's Pajama Sets
Free Birdees makes not only pajama sets for babies, but also the softest toddler pajamas as your little one grows. Clothing sizes range from newborn to 10 years and includes children's pajamas, blankets and crib sheets, underwear, and head bows. The soft bamboo baby and toddler pajamas can also be found in adult sizes, including holiday prints, for when you want the entire family to match in comfort. The material used in Free Birdees' products is ecofriendly and hypoallergenic, making it the softest baby clothing and perfect for delicate skin. Free Birdees partners with organizations dedicated to preserving the planet by donating one percent of sales each year to organizations working to improve the climate, food and water, and land and wildlife.
Watching your little one grow from a newborn through childhood and into an adult brings excitement and joy that is unmatched. Parents with newborn baby concerns will undoubtedly read many blog articles like this baby care guide for parents and books with advice all about infants and their needs, but as a new parent, you will soon learn exactly what your baby needs and wants. Enjoy your little bundle and the countless blessings you will have throughout the years, and enjoy Free Birdees newborn sets, bamboo toddler pajamas, and other quality children's clothing while supporting the planet.